SmartWay® is a voluntary, public-private program by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) that helps the freight industry reduce fleet emissions, improve fuel economy, and increase energy efficiency. The SmartWay program includes four major elements: SmartWay Transport Partnership, SmartWay Technology Program, SmartWay Vehicles, and SmartWay International Interests.
Visit the SmartWay website for statistics and examples of how SmartWay is transforming the industry and helping the environment.
Greater Indiana is proud to be a SmartWay Affiliate and encourages its members to join the SmartWay movement.
Improve your Performance: Optimizing fuel economy and operational efficiency is key to improving your performance as a SmartWay Truck Carrier. Truck Carriers have a variety of technology and operational strategies available to improve fuel efficiency and environmental performance. The best source for the most up-to-date information about these strategies is your professional associations.
Launching a Successful Freight Sustainability Strategy
Strategies for Efficiency
- Overview of Carrier Strategies (PDF) (3 pp, 182 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-049)
- Fact sheets about each strategy:
- Automatic Tire Inflation Systems (PDF)(2 pp, 289 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-018)
- Driver Training (PDF) (2 pp, 197 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-019)
- Hybrid Powertrain Technology (PDF) (2 pp, 172 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-020)
- Idle Reduction (PDF) (2 pp, 206 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-021)
- Improved Aerodynamics (PDF) (2 pp, 179 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-022)
- Improved Freight Logistics (PDF) (2 pp, 183 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-023)
- Intermodal Shipping (PDF) (2 pp, 193 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-024)
- Longer Combination Vehicles (PDF) (2 pp, 179 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-025)
- Low Rolling Resistance Tires (PDF) (2 pp, 140 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-026)
- Low Viscosity Lubricants (PDF) (2 pp, 175 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-027)
- Maintaining Proper Tire Inflation Pressure (PDF) (2 pp, 181 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-028)
- Reducing Highway Speed (PDF) (2 pp, 153 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-029)
- Weight Reduction (PDF) (2 pp, 175 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-030)
Today’s freight shipping clients are increasingly demanding accountability and transparency from the companies in their supply chain, including their transportation partners.
Carriers that join SmartWay and become registered SmartWay Partners meet these demands with ease. Registered SmartWay Carrier Partners measure, benchmark, and track their efforts to increase efficiency and fuel economy and have the documentation to prove it, giving them an advantage with prospective and current clients.
The SmartWay Program helps carriers demonstrate their efficiency achievements, show continuous improvement, and learn best practices to become even better.
Benefits of Becoming a SmartWay Carrier Partner:
SmartWay establishes a common yardstick for comparing emissions performance and is considered the gold standard in corporate freight supply chain accounting. Since its introduction in 2004, the SmartWay brand has helped influence partners to achieve significant emissions reductions from goods movement and has raised awareness about the need to improve transportation sustainability. When we help you reduce fuel use and increase efficiency, there’s a win-win—your business saves money, and the environment suffers fewer harmful emissions. Get started now!
Becoming a SmartWay Carrier Partner helps you achieve:
Credible efficiency tracking and emissions accounting: EPA’s performance tools are the “gold standard” of fuel efficiency and emissions accounting in the freight transportation sector, ensuring that your tracking efforts are consistent with industry best practices.
Demonstrated commitment: Your customers and clients look to SmartWay as their preferred way of identifying more efficient carriers. Your participation quickly signals that efficiency is a priority for your company.
Measurable results: Track the metrics that matter most to your bottom line. By benchmarking and monitoring your performance, you see how you compare to your peers, as well as how your efforts affect results on a year-to-year basis. SmartWay provides reports that make it easy to show improvements.
Operational efficiencies: You can’t fix what you don’t measure. SmartWay helps you identify inefficiency and waste that costs you money and allows you to make strategic improvements year after year.
Sustainability innovations: Tap into industry expertise and best practices through expert webinars, meetings, and case studies.
Continuous improvement: Your annual participation in SmartWay provides business intelligence that helps pinpoint real achievements and uncover opportunities to get better.
Industry recognition: EPA showcases companies that demonstrate green freight best practices via case studies, profiles, panel discussions, webinars, and awards.